Is yellow jasmine poisonous to humans?

Answered by Robert Dupre

Yellow jasmine, also known as yellow jessamine, is indeed toxic to humans and other vertebrates. The plants contain alkaloids, specifically gelsemine and gelseminine, which are responsible for their toxic properties. These alkaloids are found in various parts of the plant, including the flowers, leaves, stems, and roots.

Ingesting any part of the yellow jasmine plant can lead to poisoning symptoms. The severity of the symptoms can vary depending on the amount ingested and the individual’s sensitivity to the toxins. Common symptoms of yellow jasmine poisoning in humans may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dizziness, blurred vision, headache, sweating, and in severe cases, respiratory depression and convulsions.

It is important to note that the toxicity of yellow jasmine can pose a serious risk, and even small amounts of ingestion can lead to poisoning. Therefore, it is crucial to exercise caution and avoid direct contact with the plant, especially if you have young children or pets who may be more prone to accidental ingestion.

If you suspect someone has ingested yellow jasmine or is experiencing symptoms of poisoning, it is vital to seek immediate medical attention. Contact your local poison control center or emergency services for guidance on how to proceed.

Throughout history, there have been documented cases of yellow jasmine poisoning. One notable incident occurred in the mid-19th century in Charleston, South Carolina, where yellow jasmine was mistakenly brewed into a tea, resulting in several fatalities. This tragic event highlighted the dangers of consuming or coming into contact with this toxic plant.

Due to its toxicity, yellow jasmine should not be consumed or used for medicinal purposes without proper guidance from a trained professional. It is always advisable to consult with a healthcare provider or a knowledgeable botanist before using any plant for therapeutic purposes.

Yellow jasmine is indeed poisonous to humans and other vertebrates. The alkaloids present in the plant can cause a range of symptoms, from mild gastrointestinal distress to severe respiratory and neurological effects. It is important to exercise caution and avoid direct contact or ingestion of yellow jasmine to prevent poisoning incidents.