Who can officiate my wedding in Illinois?

Answered by James Kissner

In Illinois, there are several options for who can officiate your wedding. I’ll go over each one in detail to give you a clear understanding of your choices.

1. Judges or retired judges: One option is to have a judge or retired judge perform your wedding ceremony. They have the authority to legally marry couples in Illinois. This can be a great choice if you want a professional with legal expertise to officiate your wedding.

2. County clerk in Cook County: If you’re getting married in Cook County, which has a population of over 2,000,000 people, you have the option to have a county clerk officiate your wedding. This can be a convenient choice if you’re getting married in this area.

3. Public officials: Public officials whose duties include performing weddings can also officiate your wedding in Illinois. These officials can vary depending on the jurisdiction, but examples include mayors, village presidents, and town presidents. It’s worth checking with your local government to see if any public officials in your area are authorized to officiate weddings.

4. Governing mayor or president: Another option is to have the then-governing mayor or president of a city, village, or town officiate your wedding. This can be a unique and meaningful choice, as it involves a local leader who holds a position of authority in your community.

It’s important to note that each of these officiants must be registered with the county clerk’s office in the county where the wedding will take place. Additionally, they must follow the legal requirements and procedures for performing weddings in Illinois.

Illinois offers a range of options for who can officiate your wedding. Whether you prefer a judge, a county clerk, a public official, or a governing mayor or president, you have the flexibility to choose the officiant who best suits your preferences and the vision you have for your special day.