What proof is Jack Daniel’s old number 7?

Answered by Tom Adger

Jack Daniel’s Old Number 7 is classified as 80 proof. But what does that actually mean? Let’s break it down.

In the world of alcohol, the term “proof” refers to the measure of the alcohol content. It is calculated by doubling the percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV). So, if a drink has an ABV of 40%, its proof will be 80.

In the case of Jack Daniel’s Old Number 7, it has an alcohol content of 40% ABV, which translates to 80 proof. This means that 40% of the liquid in the bottle is pure alcohol. The remaining 60% is a combination of water and other ingredients.

Now, let’s dive deeper into what makes Jack Daniel’s Old Number 7 unique. One of the key factors is the process of charcoal mellowing. After the whiskey is distilled, it goes through a filtering process known as charcoal mellowing. This involves slowly dripping the whiskey through 10 feet of sugar maple charcoal. This step imparts a distinct smoothness to the final product.

The charcoal mellowing process is what sets Jack Daniel’s apart from other whiskeys. It helps to remove impurities and harsh flavors, resulting in a smoother and more balanced taste.

Another important aspect of Jack Daniel’s production is the maturation process. Once the whiskey has been charcoal mellowed, it is aged in handcrafted white oak barrels. These barrels are made in-house at the Jack Daniel’s distillery, ensuring quality control at every step.

The aging process in these barrels allows the whiskey to develop its character and flavor profile. The wood interacts with the liquid, imparting flavors and aromas such as vanilla, caramel, and oak. The length of time the whiskey spends in the barrels can vary, but it is typically aged for a minimum of 4 years.

The result of this meticulous process is the iconic Jack Daniel’s Old Number 7. It is a smooth and well-rounded whiskey with a balanced flavor profile. The 80 proof ensures that it has a satisfying alcohol kick without being overpowering.

Jack Daniel’s Old Number 7 is 80 proof, which means it has an alcohol content of 40% ABV. Its distinct smoothness is achieved through the process of charcoal mellowing and its unique flavor profile is developed during the aging process in handcrafted white oak barrels. So, the next time you enjoy a glass of Jack Daniel’s, savor the craftsmanship that goes into every drop.