What is the end of a barrel called?

Answered by Tom Adger

The end of a barrel, from which the bullet or projectile emerges, is commonly referred to as the muzzle. This term is widely used in the firearms industry and among enthusiasts. The muzzle is essentially the opening of the barrel through which the bullet travels when the firearm is discharged.

When it comes to firearms, it’s important to understand the different types of ammunition and projectiles that can be used. In the case of shotguns, for example, the projectiles are small spherical objects known as pellets or shot. These pellets are loaded into shotshells and are expelled from the muzzle when the shotgun is fired. The muzzle plays a crucial role in directing and propelling these projectiles towards the target.

It’s worth noting that the term “muzzle” is primarily associated with firearms that have a barrel, such as rifles and shotguns. On the other hand, a handgun that does not have a revolving cylinder, and instead has a chamber that is integrated into the barrel, is commonly referred to as a pistol. The end of the barrel on a pistol would also be called the muzzle.

In my personal experience with firearms, I have always been fascinated by the intricacies of their design and functionality. Understanding the terminology associated with firearms, including the various parts of a firearm such as the muzzle, has been an important aspect of my interest in the subject.

To summarize, the end of a firearm’s barrel is called the muzzle. This term is used to describe the opening through which bullets or projectiles are expelled when the firearm is discharged. It is essential to differentiate between the terms “muzzle” and “pistol,” as the former refers to the end of a barrel, while the latter is a type of handgun.