What if my dog eats a burrito with onions?

Answered by Jeremy Urbaniak

If your dog has eaten a burrito with onions, it is important to take immediate action and seek veterinary care. Onions, as well as garlic, belong to the Allium family and contain compounds that can be toxic to dogs. These compounds can cause damage to your dog’s red blood cells, leading to a condition called hemolytic anemia.

Even if your dog shows no immediate signs of illness, it is still crucial to take them to the veterinarian. The toxic effects of onions and garlic can take time to manifest, and by the time symptoms appear, significant damage may have already occurred. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your pet’s health.

When you visit the veterinarian, they will be able to assess your dog’s condition and provide appropriate treatment. This may involve inducing vomiting to remove any remaining onion or garlic from your dog’s stomach, administering activated charcoal to help absorb any toxins, and providing supportive care to manage any symptoms that may arise.

Symptoms of onion or garlic toxicity in dogs can include gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. Additionally, you may notice your dog becoming lethargic, weak, or having difficulty breathing. In severe cases, your dog may even collapse or experience jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes).

It is important to note that the size of the dog, the amount of onion or garlic consumed, and the duration of exposure can all play a role in the severity of symptoms. Even small amounts of onion or garlic can be toxic to some dogs, so it is best to err on the side of caution and seek veterinary care immediately.

While it is essential to take quick action after your dog has consumed onions or garlic, prevention is always better than cure. It is advisable to keep foods containing these ingredients out of reach from your dog. Be cautious of any meals or snacks you share with your pet, as some human food items can be toxic to dogs.

In my personal experience, I once made the mistake of leaving a plate of pasta with garlic sauce on a low table, thinking my dog wouldn’t be able to reach it. However, to my surprise, she managed to jump up and devour the entire plate in a matter of seconds. I immediately called my vet and rushed her in for treatment. Thankfully, she was okay in the end, but it was a lesson learned about the importance of keeping potentially harmful foods out of reach.

If your dog has eaten a burrito or any other food containing onions or garlic, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately, even if there are no immediate signs of illness. The toxic compounds in onions and garlic can cause serious damage to your dog’s health, and it is always better to be safe than sorry. Remember to take preventative measures to keep your dog away from potentially toxic foods in the future.