Kentucky is famous for its unique and flavorful cuisine, which reflects the state’s Southern and Appalachian influences. Here are some iconic dishes that you must try when visiting Kentucky:
1. Hot Brown: This open-faced sandwich was invented at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. It consists of turkey, bacon, and Mornay sauce, all baked until golden and bubbly. It’s a true Kentucky classic and a must-try.
2. Spoonbread: A traditional cornmeal-based dish that is light, fluffy, and creamy. It’s often served as a side dish and pairs well with barbecue or fried chicken. Don’t miss out on this comforting staple.
3. Benedictine: A popular spread made from cucumber and cream cheese, often seasoned with onion and a hint of green food coloring. It’s a refreshing and delicious option for sandwiches or as a dip for crackers.
4. Burgoo: This hearty stew is a Kentucky tradition. It typically contains a mix of meats (such as beef, pork, and chicken), along with vegetables and spices. It’s slow-cooked for hours, resulting in a rich and flavorful dish.
5. Barbecue: Kentucky is known for its barbecue, particularly mutton barbecue found in the western part of the state. The meat is slow-cooked and smoked, resulting in tender and flavorful bites. Don’t forget to try the tangy and sweet barbecue sauce that accompanies it.
6. Derby Pie®: A trademarked dessert that originated at the Melrose Inn in Prospect, Kentucky. It’s a chocolate and walnut pie known for its gooey center and buttery crust. It’s a must-have during the Kentucky Derby season.
7. Rolled Oysters: A unique Kentucky delicacy, rolled oysters are made by rolling oysters in a seasoned cornmeal mixture and deep-frying until crispy. They are often served with a side of tartar sauce or hot sauce.
8. Beer Cheese: This creamy and flavorful spread is a staple at Kentucky’s beer joints and pubs. It’s made with cheddar cheese, beer, garlic, and spices, resulting in a tangy and addictive dip for pretzels, veggies, or crackers.
These are just a few examples of the delicious foods that Kentucky is famous for. When visiting the state, be sure to indulge in these iconic dishes to get a true taste of its culinary heritage.