Is blue poppy poisonous?

Answered by Douglas Hiatt

Blue poppy, also known as Meconopsis betonicifolia, is a stunning flowering plant that belongs to the Poppy family. While it is not directly referred to as poisonous, it is important to note that the plant does possess narcotic properties and some parts, particularly the roots, can be toxic if ingested.

The leaves of the blue poppy are deeply and irregularly lobed, giving them a unique appearance. They are sparsely bristly haired, which adds to their texture. The lobes of the leaves are usually rounded-toothed and widely spaced, creating an interesting pattern. This distinctive foliage is one of the reasons why the blue poppy is highly sought after in gardens and landscapes.

However, it is crucial to exercise caution when dealing with the blue poppy, especially its roots. The roots of this plant contain alkaloids, including morphine and codeine, which are known for their narcotic effects. These alkaloids can be harmful if consumed in large quantities or if used irresponsibly.

While the blue poppy is not typically grown for its medicinal properties, it is important to acknowledge the potential risks associated with its roots. Ingesting or using the roots without proper knowledge and guidance can lead to adverse effects on human health.

To summarize, while the blue poppy is not explicitly referred to as poisonous, its roots contain narcotic alkaloids and should be handled with caution. It is always advisable to exercise care and seek expert advice when dealing with any plant that possesses potentially toxic properties.

Please note that the information provided is based on general knowledge and research. It is always recommended to consult with a qualified professional or horticulturist for specific advice and guidance regarding the blue poppy or any other plant with potential toxic properties.