Can you get drunk off moonshine?

Answered by James Kissner

Can you get drunk off moonshine? Absolutely. Moonshine is a high-proof distilled spirit that is typically made illegally and often in homemade stills. Due to its lack of regulation and quality control, moonshine can have a much higher alcohol content compared to commercially produced spirits. This means that consuming moonshine can result in a more intense and rapid intoxication.

When you consume moonshine, the alcohol quickly enters your bloodstream through the walls of your stomach and small intestine. From there, it travels to your brain and affects the central nervous system, leading to the classic symptoms of drunkenness such as impaired judgment, lack of coordination, and altered perception.

The high alcohol content in moonshine can make it easier to consume larger quantities in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a more significant level of intoxication. It’s important to note that excessive alcohol consumption can be dangerous and can lead to alcohol poisoning, which can have severe health consequences and, in extreme cases, be fatal.

While the primary psychoactive component in moonshine is ethanol (the alcohol that gets you drunk), there is also a potential risk associated with the presence of methanol. Methanol is a toxic alcohol that can be produced during the distillation process of moonshine, especially if proper precautions and quality control measures are not in place.

Methanol can have harmful effects on the body when it is metabolized. In the liver, methanol is converted into formaldehyde and formic acid, which are highly toxic substances. These toxic byproducts can lead to a range of symptoms and health issues, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dizziness, blurred vision, and even permanent blindness or death in severe cases.

It’s worth noting that the risk of methanol poisoning is higher with poorly produced moonshine or when moonshine is consumed in large quantities. Commercially produced spirits undergo strict quality control measures to ensure that the methanol content is within safe limits. However, with homemade or illicitly produced moonshine, there is a higher likelihood of methanol contamination.

To minimize the risk of methanol poisoning, it is crucial to obtain alcohol from reputable and regulated sources. If you suspect that you or someone else may have consumed moonshine contaminated with methanol, it is essential to seek medical attention immediately.

Yes, you can indeed get drunk off moonshine due to its high alcohol content. However, it is essential to be aware of the potential risks associated with poorly produced or contaminated moonshine, particularly the presence of methanol. Consumption of methanol can have severe and potentially life-threatening consequences, making it crucial to exercise caution and opt for regulated sources of alcohol.