Who is the best person to see for Achilles tendonitis?

Answered by James Kissner

When it comes to Achilles tendonitis, there are a few different healthcare professionals who can help you. Your first port of call will likely be your family doctor or primary care physician. They are trained to diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions, including musculoskeletal injuries like Achilles tendonitis.

However, if your symptoms are severe or persistent, your family doctor may refer you to a specialist for further evaluation and treatment. One such specialist is a doctor who specializes in sports medicine. These doctors have expertise in diagnosing and treating injuries that are commonly seen in athletes, including Achilles tendonitis. They can provide you with specific exercises, stretches, and recommendations for managing your condition.

Another specialist who may be able to help is a physical and rehabilitative medicine doctor, also known as a physiatrist. These doctors focus on non-surgical treatments for musculoskeletal conditions and can provide you with a comprehensive treatment plan for your Achilles tendonitis. They may recommend physical therapy, which can help improve your strength, flexibility, and overall function.

In some cases, if your Achilles tendon has ruptured, you may need to see an orthopedic surgeon. This type of specialist specializes in surgical interventions for musculoskeletal conditions. They will be able to assess the severity of your injury and determine whether surgery is necessary.

Ultimately, the best person to see for Achilles tendonitis will depend on the severity and duration of your symptoms, as well as your personal preferences. It is always a good idea to start with your family doctor, who can provide an initial evaluation and determine whether a referral to a specialist is necessary. They will be able to guide you in the right direction and ensure that you receive appropriate care for your condition.

In my personal experience, I initially went to my family doctor when I developed Achilles tendonitis. They provided me with some initial recommendations, such as rest, ice, and over-the-counter pain medications. However, as my symptoms persisted, my doctor referred me to a sports medicine specialist. This specialist was able to provide me with specific exercises to strengthen my calf muscles and improve the flexibility of my Achilles tendon. They also recommended using orthotics in my shoes to provide additional support. Thanks to their expertise and guidance, I was able to successfully manage my Achilles tendonitis without the need for surgery.