What if my puppy just ate a crayon?

Answered by Randy McIntyre

If your puppy has just eaten a crayon, it’s important to take immediate action. While small amounts of crayon wax are generally not harmful and will pass through your puppy’s digestive system without causing any issues, larger pieces or a significant amount of crayon can pose a serious threat.

First, assess the situation and try to determine how much of the crayon your puppy has consumed. If it was just a small piece or a few nibbles, chances are it will pass through his system without causing any problems. However, if your puppy has swallowed a large piece of crayon or has consumed a substantial amount, it can lead to choking or intestinal blockage.

Choking is an immediate concern, especially if the crayon was swallowed whole or in large chunks. If your puppy is struggling to breathe or showing signs of distress, it is crucial to act quickly. Perform the Heimlich maneuver on your puppy by standing behind him, placing your hands just below his ribcage, and applying upward pressure in quick, firm motions. If the obstruction doesn’t clear, seek immediate veterinary attention.

If your puppy is not showing signs of choking but has consumed a significant amount of crayon, you should contact your veterinarian right away. They will be able to provide guidance based on your puppy’s size, the amount of crayon ingested, and any potential symptoms he may be experiencing. In some cases, your vet may recommend inducing vomiting to remove the crayon from your puppy’s system, but this should only be done under their supervision.

If your vet advises against inducing vomiting or if your puppy has already vomited and you can see pieces of crayon in the vomit, it’s essential to monitor him closely for any signs of distress. Watch for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, or difficulty passing stool. These can indicate a potential intestinal blockage, which requires immediate veterinary attention.

In the event of an intestinal blockage, your vet may need to perform diagnostic tests such as X-rays or an ultrasound to determine the location and severity of the blockage. Treatment options can range from conservative management, including medication and a special diet, to surgical intervention if the blockage is severe.

Prevention is always better than cure, so it’s crucial to keep potentially harmful items like crayons out of your puppy’s reach. Store art supplies and other small objects in secure containers or cabinets that your puppy cannot access. Supervise your puppy closely during playtime and redirect his attention if he shows any interest in inappropriate items.

If your puppy has eaten a crayon, assess the situation, and determine the amount ingested. If it was a small amount, monitor your puppy for any symptoms and ensure he passes the crayon safely. However, if your puppy has consumed a large piece or a significant amount of crayon, or if he shows signs of choking or distress, seek immediate veterinary attention. Remember, it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your puppy’s health and well-being.