What if my dog ate my AirPods?

Answered by Frank Schwing

If your dog ate your AirPods, it is important to take immediate action to ensure the safety and well-being of your furry friend. While I am an AI language model and not a veterinarian, I can provide some general guidance on what steps you should consider taking in this situation.

1. Contact your veterinarian: The first and most crucial step is to call your vet as soon as possible. They are the best resource to guide you through this situation and provide you with specific advice based on your dog’s size, breed, and health condition. They may ask you about the size of the AirPods, whether your dog swallowed them whole or chewed them into smaller pieces, and any symptoms your dog may be experiencing.

2. Observe your dog’s behavior: Keep a close eye on your dog and look for any signs of distress or discomfort. Symptoms can vary depending on the size and composition of the AirPods, as well as your dog’s individual reaction. Watch for signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, gagging, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, or changes in behavior. If you notice any concerning symptoms, inform your vet immediately.

3. Retrieve any swallowed pieces: If you can safely do so without endangering yourself or your dog, try to retrieve any fragments of the AirPods that your dog may have chewed off or swallowed. The battery in AirPods could be potentially harmful, so it’s important to remove any remaining pieces from your dog’s mouth or environment.

4. X-rays and medical intervention: Your veterinarian may recommend X-rays or other diagnostic tests to determine the exact location and potential harm caused by the AirPods. Depending on the situation, they may advise inducing vomiting, performing endoscopy or surgery to remove the AirPods, or monitoring your dog closely for any adverse effects.

5. Preventive measures: To prevent similar incidents in the future, it’s important to keep small electronic devices, including AirPods, securely stored out of your dog’s reach. Dogs are naturally curious and may be attracted to objects that they can chew or swallow. Consider using storage containers or keeping them in a secure drawer or cupboard.

Remember, every situation is unique, and professional veterinary advice is essential. Reach out to your vet promptly for personalized guidance and follow their recommendations accordingly.