What if my cat ate a Hershey Kiss?

Answered by Michael Wilson

If your cat ate a Hershey Kiss or any other type of chocolate, it is important to be aware of the potential signs of chocolate toxicity. While Hershey Kisses are relatively small and contain less chocolate compared to other types of chocolate, it is still important to monitor your cat and take appropriate action if necessary.

Initially, your cat may experience vomiting and diarrhea. This is the body’s way of trying to eliminate the chocolate from their system. Along with gastrointestinal symptoms, you may notice that your cat becomes hyperactive. They may seem more energetic than usual and may have difficulty settling down.

If left untreated, the symptoms can progress. Your cat may exhibit increased thirst and restlessness. They may constantly seek out water and seem unable to relax. Tremors or shaking can also occur as a result of chocolate toxicity. You may notice that your cat’s muscles twitch involuntarily or that they seem to be shaking.

If your cat ingests a relatively large amount of chocolate, more severe symptoms can develop. Seizures may occur, which can be frightening and distressing for both you and your cat. Your cat may experience stiffness in their muscles, making it difficult for them to move properly. Rapid breathing or difficulty breathing can also occur, as chocolate toxicity can affect the respiratory system.

It is important to note that the severity of symptoms can vary depending on the size of your cat, the type of chocolate consumed, and the amount ingested. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are more toxic to cats compared to milk chocolate. Ingesting a small amount of chocolate may not cause severe symptoms, but it is always better to err on the side of caution and monitor your cat closely.

If you suspect that your cat has ingested chocolate, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately. They can provide guidance on what steps to take based on the specific situation. In some cases, inducing vomiting may be recommended if the ingestion occurred recently. However, this should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian.

If your cat ingests a Hershey Kiss or any other type of chocolate, it is important to be vigilant for signs of chocolate toxicity. This can include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, restlessness, tremors, seizures, stiffness, and rapid breathing. Contacting your veterinarian for guidance is crucial to ensure the health and well-being of your cat.