What happens if I accidentally gave my dog too much trazodone?

Answered by Robert Flynn

Accidentally giving your dog too much trazodone can have serious consequences. Trazodone is a medication commonly prescribed to dogs for anxiety, aggression, and behavioral issues. However, like any medication, it can be harmful if not used correctly.

If you accidentally give your dog too much trazodone, it can result in an overdose. The signs of an overdose may vary depending on the individual dog and the amount of trazodone ingested. However, some common signs of trazodone overdose in dogs include:

1. Sedation: Trazodone is a sedative, and an overdose can cause excessive sedation, leading to extreme drowsiness or even loss of consciousness. Your dog may appear limp or unresponsive.

2. Gastrointestinal issues: Vomiting and diarrhea are common signs of trazodone overdose. Your dog’s stomach may be upset, and they may have difficulty keeping food down.

3. Seizures: In some cases, trazodone overdose can trigger seizures in dogs. Seizures can range from mild tremors to full-blown convulsions. It is important to note that seizures can be life-threatening and require immediate veterinary attention.

4. Changes in heart rate and blood pressure: Trazodone can affect heart rate and blood pressure in dogs. An overdose can lead to abnormal heart rhythms, increased or decreased heart rate, or changes in blood pressure. These changes can be dangerous and should be assessed by a veterinarian.

5. Coma: In severe cases of trazodone overdose, a dog may go into a coma. This is a state of unconsciousness where the dog is unresponsive and unaware of its surroundings. Coma is a medical emergency and requires immediate veterinary intervention.

If you suspect your dog has ingested too much trazodone, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting or administer any other medications without professional guidance. The veterinarian will be able to assess your dog’s condition, provide appropriate treatment, and monitor their vital signs.

Remember, trazodone is a prescription medication, and the dosage should always be given as prescribed by your veterinarian. Accidental overdose can occur if you miscalculate the dosage or accidentally give multiple doses within a short period. It is important to handle medications carefully and keep them out of reach of pets to avoid accidents.

An accidental overdose of trazodone in dogs can result in severe symptoms such as sedation, gastrointestinal issues, seizures, changes in heart rate and blood pressure, and even coma. If you suspect an overdose, contact your veterinarian immediately for guidance and assistance.