What do you call your groomsmen?

Answered by Jarrod Smith

When it comes to the members of the wedding party, the attendants to the groom are commonly referred to as groomsmen. However, it’s worth noting that there are alternative terms used depending on the situation and personal preferences of the couple. For instance, some couples may choose to have a groomsmaid or groomswoman instead of groomsmen, adding a touch of gender inclusivity to their wedding party.

In traditional military weddings, the groomsmen are often referred to as swordsmen. This terminology reflects the military background and often involves the groomsmen wearing military attire and carrying ceremonial swords as part of their role in the wedding ceremony.

It’s important to remember that the choice of terminology for the attendants to the groom is entirely up to the couple getting married. They can choose to use any term that best represents their wedding vision and their relationship with their chosen attendants. Some couples may even come up with unique terms that hold personal meaning for them and their wedding party.

In my own personal experience attending weddings, I have seen a variety of terms used to describe the groom’s attendants. From traditional groomsmen to groomsmaids and everything in between, it’s truly a matter of personal preference and the couple’s desire to create a wedding that reflects their values and relationships.

To summarize, the attendants to the groom are commonly referred to as groomsmen, but alternative terms such as groomsmaid or groomswoman may be used to accommodate gender inclusivity. In military weddings, the term swordsmen is often used. Ultimately, the choice of terminology is entirely up to the couple and their desire to create a wedding that is meaningful and personal to them.