When it comes to German Riesling wines, there are a plethora of options to choose from. The country has a long-standing tradition of producing some of the world’s finest Rieslings, known for their exceptional quality and unique flavor profiles. Here, I have compiled a list of the top 10 German Rieslings that you simply must try:
1. 2018 Weingut Robert Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling Beerenauslese Goldkapsel: This exquisite wine is made from grapes grown in the esteemed Kiedricher Gräfenberg vineyard. It boasts a luscious sweetness balanced by vibrant acidity, with flavors of ripe peach, apricot, and honey. It’s a true gem in the world of Rieslings.
2. 2016 Schloss Johannisberg Grunlack Riesling Spätlese: Produced by one of Germany’s oldest wineries, this Riesling offers a harmonious blend of fruitiness and minerality. With notes of green apple, citrus, and a hint of slate, it delivers a refreshing and elegant drinking experience.
3. 2019 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese: From the renowned Mosel region, this Auslese Riesling is a true delight. It showcases a perfect balance of sweetness and acidity, with flavors of ripe pear, honeydew melon, and a touch of spice. It’s a wine that pairs exceptionally well with spicy Asian cuisine.
4. 2019 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese: This family-owned estate consistently produces exceptional Rieslings, and this Spätlese is no exception. With its delicate floral aromas, vibrant acidity, and flavors of peach, apricot, and lime, it’s a wine that beautifully captures the essence of the Mosel terroir.
5. 2018 Dr. Loosen Erdener Prälat Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel: From the steep slopes of the Erdener Prälat vineyard, this Auslese Riesling is a true expression of Dr. Loosen’s winemaking expertise. It reveals intense aromas of tropical fruits, honey, and a touch of petrol, accompanied by a rich and opulent palate.
6. 2017 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Spätlese: Donnhoff is renowned for producing some of the finest Rieslings in the Nahe region, and this Spätlese is a prime example. With its complex aromas of peach, apricot, and slate, along with its vibrant acidity and long finish, it’s a wine that showcases precision and finesse.
7. 2018 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese: Scharzhofberger is one of Germany’s most esteemed vineyards, and Egon Muller consistently crafts exceptional Rieslings from this site. This Spätlese is no exception, with its aromas of white flowers, citrus, and wet stone, and its palate of ripe peach, lemon, and a mineral-driven finish.
8. 2017 Maximin Grünhauser Abtsberg Riesling Auslese: From the esteemed Maximin Grünhaus estate in the Ruwer Valley, this Auslese Riesling displays a perfect balance of sweetness and acidity. It offers flavors of ripe pear, honey, and a touch of spice, with a long and satisfying finish.
9. 2016 Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese: This Spätlese Riesling from Schloss Lieser is a true gem. With its vibrant acidity, enticing aromas of peach, apricot, and slate, and a palate that beautifully combines sweetness and freshness, it’s a wine that showcases the unique character of the Mosel region.
10. 2017 Gunderloch Nackenheimer Rothenberg Riesling Auslese: This Auslese Riesling from the Rheinhessen region is a testament to the exceptional quality that Gunderloch consistently delivers. With its aromas of ripe tropical fruits, honey, and a hint of petrol, along with its rich and opulent palate, it’s a wine that is sure to impress.
These are just a few of the outstanding German Rieslings available on the market today. Each wine showcases the unique terroir of its respective region, while also displaying the precision and craftsmanship of the winemakers. Whether you’re a seasoned Riesling enthusiast or just starting to explore the world of German wines, these selections are sure to provide a memorable and enjoyable tasting experience.