What are drawers in British?

Answered by Jarrod Smith

In British English, the term “drawers” is used to refer to underpants or underwear. It’s a casual and colloquial way of describing this undergarment. When someone mentions “drawers” in the UK, they are usually talking about the clothing item that is worn underneath outer clothing to provide comfort and support.

I remember a situation a few years ago when I was shopping for underwear in a department store in London. I asked the sales assistant where I could find the men’s underwear section, and she pointed me towards a display labeled “Men’s Drawers.” At first, I was a bit confused by the term, as I was used to calling them underpants or simply underwear. But after a moment, it clicked that “drawers” was the local term for the same thing.

It’s interesting how different regions can have their own unique vocabulary for everyday items. In this case, the term “drawers” is used in British English, while in other English-speaking countries, such as the United States, “underpants” or “briefs” are more commonly used. It just goes to show how language can vary even within the same language family.

To clarify, “drawers” in British English is not to be confused with the piece of furniture also called “drawers” or “chest of drawers.” The term “drawers” for underpants is specifically used in the context of clothing. It’s worth noting that “drawers” can also be used in the plural form, as in “a pair of drawers” or simply “drawers.”

“drawers” in British English refers to underpants or underwear. It’s a casual and colloquial term used to describe this particular item of clothing. So, if you ever find yourself in the UK and someone mentions “drawers,” now you know they are referring to underpants or underwear.