Is Fox and Cubs poisonous to horses?

Answered by Randy McIntyre

According to my research and available information, Pilosella aurantiaca, commonly known as Fox and Cubs, does not have any reported toxic effects. This means that it is generally considered safe and non-poisonous for horses to consume. However, it is important to note that individual horses may have different sensitivities or reactions to certain plants, so it is always advisable to monitor their grazing habits and consult with a veterinarian if any concerns arise.

In my personal experience, I have come across horses grazing in areas where Fox and Cubs were present, and I have not witnessed any negative effects. Horses tend to have a natural instinct to avoid toxic plants, and they are generally able to differentiate between safe and harmful vegetation. However, this does not mean that we should be complacent and assume that all plants are safe for horses to consume.

It is worth mentioning that while Fox and Cubs may not be poisonous to horses, it is important to ensure that they have access to a balanced and nutritious diet. Horses should have a variety of grasses, hay, and possibly supplemented with appropriate grains or feeds to meet their dietary requirements. Additionally, it is always advisable to regularly inspect pastures and remove any potentially harmful plants or weeds to minimize the risk of ingestion.

To summarize, based on available information, there are no reported toxic effects of Pilosella aurantiaca (Fox and Cubs) on horses. However, it is always important to monitor grazing habits and consult with a veterinarian if any concerns arise. Providing a balanced and nutritious diet for horses is crucial, and regular pasture maintenance can help minimize the risk of ingestion of harmful plants.