How poisonous is trumpet vine?

Answered by Antonio Sutton

Trumpet vine, also known as Trumpet Creeper, is a beautiful and vibrant plant that can add color and charm to any garden or landscape. However, it’s important to be aware that this plant is toxic and can cause mild to severe skin rashes and irritation if handled improperly.

I learned about the toxicity of trumpet vine through personal experience. A few years ago, I was pruning some overgrown vines in my backyard, and despite wearing gloves, I accidentally brushed against the foliage. Within a few hours, I noticed a red and itchy rash developing on my arms and hands. It was quite uncomfortable, and I immediately washed my hands thoroughly and applied a soothing lotion to alleviate the irritation.

The toxic properties of trumpet vine lie in its fruit, foliage, flowers, and sap. These parts of the plant contain chemical compounds that can cause skin reactions when they come into contact with the skin. The severity of the reaction can vary from person to person, with some individuals experiencing only mild irritation while others may develop more severe rashes.

To avoid any negative effects when working with trumpet vine, it is important to take precautions. When pruning or handling the plant, always wear gloves to protect your skin. It’s also advisable to wear long sleeves and pants to minimize the exposure of your skin to the plant.

If you do come into contact with any part of the plant, it’s crucial to wash your hands and any affected areas immediately. Use soap and water to thoroughly cleanse your skin, and consider using a mild antihistamine or soothing cream to help alleviate any itching or discomfort.

It’s worth noting that while the toxicity of trumpet vine primarily affects the skin, ingestion of any part of the plant can also cause gastrointestinal distress. Therefore, it’s important to keep children and pets away from trumpet vine and to discourage them from eating any part of the plant.

Trumpet vine is indeed poisonous and can cause skin rashes and irritation if handled improperly. It’s important to be cautious when working with this plant, wearing gloves and protective clothing, and taking prompt action if any contact occurs. By being aware of its toxic properties and taking the necessary precautions, you can still enjoy the beauty of trumpet vine in your garden while keeping yourself and others safe.