How often will Medicare pay for an MRI?

Answered by Robert Dupre

Medicare coverage for an MRI can vary depending on the specific plan you have. In general, Medicare Part B (medical insurance) covers diagnostic non-emergency MRI scans if they are deemed medically necessary by your doctor.

The frequency at which Medicare will cover an MRI depends on your individual circumstances and the medical necessity. There is no set limit on how often Medicare will pay for an MRI. If your doctor determines that you need multiple MRI scans for ongoing monitoring or treatment, Medicare will typically cover them.

It’s important to note that Medicare will only cover the cost of the MRI itself, not any additional services or tests that may be required in conjunction with the MRI. For example, if your doctor orders contrast dye to be used during the MRI, Medicare will cover the cost of the dye as well.

Medicare typically covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for the MRI, and you are responsible for the remaining 20% coinsurance. It’s also worth noting that you may have a deductible to meet before Medicare coverage kicks in. The specific cost-sharing details can vary depending on your Medicare plan and whether or not you have supplemental insurance.

It’s always a good idea to contact Medicare directly or review your plan documents to get the most accurate and up-to-date information on coverage for an MRI. Additionally, discussing your specific situation with your healthcare provider can help you understand the frequency and coverage of MRI scans under Medicare.