How long was Chris McCandless journey?

Answered by Willie Powers

Chris McCandless embarked on a journey that lasted for several months before his tragic demise. His adventure began in May 1990 when he graduated from Emory University. Rather than pursuing a conventional career path, McCandless decided to leave behind his comfortable life and set out on a cross-country road trip.

For the next two years, McCandless traveled extensively, experiencing the freedom and thrill of life on the road. He embraced a nomadic lifestyle, hitchhiking, camping, and exploring various parts of the United States. During this time, he had numerous encounters with different people and encountered diverse landscapes, from the deserts of California to the wheat fields of South Dakota.

In April 1992, McCandless arrived in the small town of Healy, Alaska. He had a strong desire to explore the remote wilderness of Alaska, seeking solitude and a deeper connection with nature. He obtained a map and set off on foot towards the Stampede Trail, a route that would lead him to the abandoned city bus that would become his final shelter.

McCandless’s journey to the bus was not an easy one. He hiked through dense forests, crossed rivers, and endured harsh weather conditions. It took him several days to reach the bus, which was located in a secluded area near the Teklanika River.

Once he reached the bus, McCandless settled in and began his solitary existence. He relied on his survival skills to sustain himself, hunting small game and foraging for edible plants. However, as the summer turned into fall and winter approached, his food sources became scarce, and he found himself increasingly isolated and vulnerable.

McCandless’s 114-day stay in the bus was marked by both moments of beauty and desperation. He documented his thoughts and experiences in a journal, providing a glimpse into his mindset during this period. He found solace in nature, marveling at the wildlife and the changing seasons. However, as his physical condition deteriorated due to starvation, he also expressed feelings of loneliness and regret.

Tragically, McCandless’s journey came to an end in August 1992 when he attempted to cross the Teklanika River. The river had swelled due to melting ice, making it impassable. McCandless was trapped on the other side, unable to return to the safety of the bus. He made several attempts to find another way across but ultimately succumbed to starvation and passed away.

McCandless’s journey, though ultimately tragic, has captivated the attention of many adventure seekers and readers alike. His story serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of venturing into the wild unprepared and underestimating the power of nature.