Can I take my partners name without getting married?

Answered by John Hunt

It is completely within your rights as a couple to change your surname to match your partner’s, even if you choose not to get married or enter into a civil partnership. Taking your partner’s surname without marriage is becoming increasingly common and is a personal choice that many couples make to create a sense of unity and togetherness.

Here are a few steps you can take if you decide to take your partner’s name without getting married:

1. Discuss and agree with your partner: Before making any decisions, it’s important to have an open and honest conversation with your partner about your reasons for wanting to change your surname and ensure that both of you are on the same page. It’s essential to respect each other’s feelings and desires in this matter.

2. Research the legal requirements: The process of changing your surname without marriage varies depending on your country and jurisdiction. Research the specific legal requirements in your area to understand the steps involved, the necessary documentation, and any potential fees or forms that need to be completed. This information can typically be found on your government’s official website or by contacting the relevant authorities.

3. Choose a new surname: If you both decide to change your surname, consider discussing and selecting a new surname together. This can be a unique combination of your current surnames or an entirely new name altogether. Take your time with this decision and ensure it feels right for both of you.

4. Obtain a deed poll or legal documentation: In some countries, you may need to obtain a deed poll or a statutory declaration to officially change your surname. This document serves as proof that you have legally changed your name. Check with your local government office or legal professionals to determine the specific requirements for your jurisdiction.

5. Notify relevant institutions and update official documents: Once you have legally changed your surname, you’ll need to notify various institutions and update your official documents. This includes your passport, driver’s license, bank accounts, credit cards, insurance policies, employment records, and any other relevant organizations or agencies. Keep in mind that some institutions may require additional documentation, such as a marriage certificate, to process the name change.

It’s important to note that while changing your surname without getting married can give the appearance of a married couple, it does not grant you the same legal rights and protections as marriage or civil partnership. Therefore, ensure that you are aware of the legal implications and consequences of your decision.

Taking your partner’s name without getting married is a personal choice that can help create a sense of unity and commitment in your relationship. By following the necessary legal steps and updating your official documents, you can officially change your surname to match your partner’s and present yourselves as a married couple, if that is what you desire.